What I’m Like
Fearless DIYer. Clumsy fly-fisherman. Americana enthusiast: back-road road trips, divey diners, neon, vintage travel trailers. Industrial detritus. Stingrays > Mustangs. Donuts.
When I see a Waffle House, I think of @mike_eiler — Andrew Long
What I’ve Done
I’m a tech-savvy language professional with a strong background in editing, proofreading, journalism, and higher-ed. My focus in the past couple of years has been editing business writing in the financial industry. Click here for a printable copy of this page.
In print and online, I’ve also worked on most aspects of media production in increasingly responsible roles: writing, editing, designing, wire selection, directing coverage of breaking news. I’ve developed and maintained stylebooks, led copy-editing teams on special projects, and created and managed online content, including social media. I’m comfortable in multiple publishing and content-management systems: Quark, InDesign, WordPress, OnSet, HTML, and the Microsoft Office suite, including Word, with Track Changes. If I don’t know it, I can learn it. In addition to sharp critical thinking and precision editing, I was well-respected for creative and compelling headlines and display copy.
I’ve taught several college and university courses: beginning and intermediate composition, business English, and a 300-level journalism course. I’ve worked with individual writers, most of whom were non-native English speakers, as a writing coach at Mesa Community College. During my teaching career, several of my students’ works have been published; I was chosen to lead a freshman orientation roundtable discussion on ethics; and I was a student selection for outstanding teacher in Fall 1999.
In Colorado Springs, I helped create Oinkety, a local lifestyle blog that won an editor’s choice award in the Independent’s annual Best of the Springs edition in 2010. We were picked third by readers. I also built the website for Pink Kitty Studios, a glamour and boudoir photography studio.
- I have a master’s degree in English from Missouri State University (formerly Southwest Missouri State University) with emphases on linguistics and creative writing. I also have a bachelor’s in English from the same university.
- I’m certified (for life!) to teach in Arizona community colleges.
- I’ve completed the Freedom Communications’ Foundations of Leadership management training in Phoenix, 2006.
- Training in HTML, CSS, and Adobe Dreamweaver from Computer Training Source in Chicago, 2012.
- I’ve earned the Claritas Investment Certificate issued by the CFA Institute.
Where I’ve Worked
Senior copy editor, Internet Content Services, Equities, 2013-present
- I work on a six-member editing team that produces financial and investing content for Morningstar’s Equities division.
- Online and in print, we edit in-depth reports — on market trends, sectors, and individual securities — from financial analysts for retail and institutional customers.
- We post and update online content with a Morningstar proprietary content-management system.
- We use InDesign, Excel, and Word for our print products.
The Gazette, Colorado Springs
Deputy News Editor, 2006-2012
- Helped manage a team of about 12 designers and editors who worked on gazette.com and the print edition of the daily newspaper.
- Led daily budget meetings with newsroom staff to determine front-page content.
- Posted, updated and edited local and wire-service content online with OnSet and WordPress content-management systems.
- Engaged readers and delivered customer service at gazette.com and through social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Managed workflow to ensure pages met multiple deadlines.
- Developed and maintained a local stylebook and enforced usage standards.
- Designed front and inside pages with InDesign and InCopy software.
- Edited and proofread news, business and features stories for accuracy, grammar, AP and local style, fairness, consistency, libel, etc. I also wrote headlines, photo captions and other display content as needed.
Copy Chief, 2001-2006
- Directed and enforced language standards in print and online: determined local style; settled language disputes; managed editing teams on special investigative projects.
- Edited and proofread news and features stories for two zoned editions of the daily newspaper, specifically the front pages.
- Wrote headlines, photo captions and other display copy with InDesign software.
Copy editor, 2000-2001
- Designed front and inside pages for newspapers in five cities: Fort Smith, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers and Springdale.
- Edited news stories for accuracy, grammar, style, libel, fairness, etc., and wrote headlines and display copy.
Courses I’ve taught
- Introduction to Editing
Arizona State University, 2006
- Beginning Composition
Mesa Community College, 2002-2006
- Technical Composition and Business Writing
University of Arkansas-Fort Smith (formerly Westark College), 2000
- Beginning and Intermediate Composition
Missouri State University (formerly Southwest Missouri State University), 1998-2000